Study in USA
United States of America, commonly known as the United States, or the US or the USA – the land of opportunity, the land of freedom and democracy and the most sought after country in the world, is a dream place for anyone wanting to study abroad. It is also one of the most diverse countries in the world- racially as well as ethnically. People from almost every ethnicity, race, religion and identity can be found in the USA because of the centuries of immigration to the US. Besides looking for employment and livelihood, thousands also go to the US because of the highly efficient and sought after US education system. The education system in USA has over the years produced some of the finest minds and professionals of our times, and that’s why studying in US is considered a prestigious opportunity.
India- USA relations have evolved into a solid bond over the years, and many Indian students now go to study in US and come back with successful careers and happy experiences. A USA education is enough to secure a successful job anywhere in the world. The education system in USA is also very proficient, and this can be gauged by the fact that the majority of the world's top universities, as listed by various ranking organizations, are in the U.S. In fact, USA has been ranked first in the world for breadth and quality of higher education.
Why study in USA?
Studying in USA provides a student with the tools and experiences to be successful in life. This is not the only benefit of studying in USA though. For international students, USA is the most popular country in the world for studying. In fact, 16% of all international students go to the US. Studying in USA for Indian students is even more lucrative as a huge and influential Indian diaspora lives in the US. One more benefit of studying in USA is the large number of grants and scholarships available to students for studying in America which makes paying the expenses easier. So if you are asking Why USA, the simplest answer would be because it is the US!
Popular Cities to study in USA
Universities in USA are known for their high academic standards, and students planning to study in USA should be prepared to work hard. You should also remember that the top universities in USA are also among the best universities in the world. These universities are located in some of the most famous and glamorous cities in the USA. The top universities in USA not only offer excellent education, but also are homes to large and diverse groups of students from all over the world.
- Boston- It is the largest and the capital city of the state of Massachusetts. Boston is the throbbing heart of scientific research, law, medicine, engineering, and business in the USA. The city is considered to be a global pioneer in innovation and entrepreneurship, with nearly 5,000 start-ups. It is also one of the most diverse cities of USA, with a huge immigrant population making it a preferred choice for international students. It is a beautiful and historic city and has some of the best universities in the world which include Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Boston University, Brandeis University, Harvard University, Tufts University and Merrimack College.
- New York- It is the most populous city in the US, and the most diverse as well. It is literally the melting pot of the USA. It is also the largest metropolitan area in the world, and a culturally megadiverse city. The city is fascinating not only because of these aspects, but also because it is home to excellent universities like the Columbia University, New York University, Cornell University and Rochester Institute of Technology.
- Los Angeles- It is a popular tourist destination and the largest city of the great state of California. California also has some of the greatest cities of the US like San Francisco and Sacramento. Top universities in Los Angeles and the state of California include Stanford University, California Institute of Technology (Caltech), University of Southern California, California State University Northridge, Humboldt State University and the Cal State Monterey Bay, which provide world-class technical and professional education.
- Miami- It is the largest metro area in the state of Florida, and is famous all over the world for its stunning beaches and fantastic weather. But it is also an economically strong city, so jobs are plenty. The top universities in Miami and other cities of Florida include University of Florida, University of Miami, Florida State University, University of South Florida, Full Sail University and Florida International University.
- Chicago- It is the capital city of the state of Illinois. This city has a rich history, and a harsh climate. The universities in Chicago include the University of Chicago, North-western University, Illinois Institute of Technology, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, DeVry University and the Roosevelt University.
- Houston- It is the largest city in the state of Texas, whose capital city Houston also some excellent universities. Houston is a major international commercial centre and an important transport, retail, events and conference hub. Among the best universities in Houston and the state of Texas are the University of Texas, Rice University, University of Houston, West Texas A&M University and the Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi.
- Atlanta- It is a peaceful and beautiful city in the southern part of USA that has also a flourishing industry. Top universities in Atlanta include Emory University, the University of Georgia, Georgia State University, Georgia Institute of Technology (Georgia Tech) and the Concord University.
- Washington D.C- It is the capital of the US and is not only known for its highly intellectual universities, but also for its beauty. Some of the best universities in Washington D.C are Georgetown University, George Washington University and American University Washington DC.
- Portland- It is the capital city of the state of Oregon and is a major port to the US. Some of the top universities in Portland are Oregon State University and the University of Oregon.
- Denver- The capital city of the state of Colorado, Denver has a cold climate but it has some of the best educational institutions in the US like the University of Colorado, Colorado State University and the University of Denver.
USA student visa requirements for Indian students
USA student visa depends upon your age and the level of study you are planning to pursue in the USA. There are three types of student visa that you can apply to- F-1 Student Visa, J Exchange Visa and the M Student Visa.. But you will first have to secure admission in a USA university.
The fees for USA student visa are very nominal. The USA student visa fees come to about 20,000 rupees.Before applying for studies in USA, you should apply for and obtain a good scale in TOEFL, which is English language exams. You should also check the respective institutional website for other eligibility related information.
Scholarship in USA for Indian Students
Although the universities and the cost of living in USA are a bit expensive, there a number of scholarships to study in USA that can take care of these expenses. Some of these are the Fulbright- Nehru Fellowships, Hubert Humphrey Fellowship Program #YouAreWelcomeHere Scholarship and the AAUW International Fellowships. For more information on scholarships and funding opportunities in USA, visit the individual university websites.
Jobs after Studying in USA
USA has a huge economy, but lately jobs in USA have become tougher to secure. But once you have proven your credentials as a good student, you can secure a USA post study work visa and can work in the US. Jobs in USA for Indians are also easily found.
How much does it cost to study in USA?
The American dollar is the currency of USA. The cost of study in USA varies- for an undergraduate program it is $20,000 to $40,000 per year, for graduate programs it is $20,000 to $45,000 per year and for doctoral degree it is about $28,000 to $55,000 per year. Visit the institution website for further information. The cost of living in USA comes to about $20,000 a year.