If you are in confusion about the IELTS exam or want to know what is IELTS? You are on the right platform! Here we will discuss every aspect of the exam.
IELTS is conducted to assess your English language skills if you want to work or pursue an education in a foreign land where English is the main language for communication. IELTS stands for - " International English Language Testing System." Some of the famous countries where IELTS is accepted for taking admission in their universities are - Australia, New Zealand, UK, the USA, and Canada.
The exam's main objective is to check out English communication skills in four essential aspects - Reading, Writing, Listening, and Speaking. The IELTS test is jointly conducted by the IDP Education Australia, British Council, and Cambridge English Language Assessment. The IELTS has become the leader in the field of higher education as a criterion for admission. All UK and Australian universities accept the IELTS test results. Besides that is acknowledged in over 3,400 US universities and thousands of English-speaking universities.
IELTS is conducted 48 times a year and about four times every month, depending on local demand. The students can select any of the 48 dates according to their convenience and allowed to re-attempt the exam if required. Besides that IELTS exam can be attempted as many times as possible, and every time you need to pay 1,400 INR. To register yourself for the exam:
- Visit the official IELTS website.
- Register yourself for the test.
- Select your preferred test, availability, test date, and test type.
The IELTS test has two formats:
- IELTS Academics
- IELTS General Training
You can opt for any one of the formats as per the university's requirement or course you are applying for. You must be well aware that both the test are equally optimized to accurately analyze English language skills like - Reading, Writing, Speaking, and Listening. Let us understand the syllabus more deeply:
There are four major sections of the IELTS test pattern, and the test is conducted for two hours and forty-five minutes. Let us discuss them in detail:
- Listening : The total duration for this part is thirty minutes, and it is further divided into four parts. The students need to answer forty types of various questions.
- Reading: The total duration for this part is sixty minutes and comprises forty questions. It will have three different text sections, which you have to read and answer accordingly.
- Writing: The total duration for this part is sixty minutes, which has two questions. The students need to write two essays of 250 words.
- Speaking: This section's total duration ranges between eleven to fourteen minutes, and students need to give a face-to-face interview. This is to check the students' verbal communication as per the country where he/she wants to pursue education.
You can opt for the best books for the self-preparation for the IELTS. You can also opt for IELTS coaching or select IELTS online coaching. Various IELTS coaching institutes in India offer the best coaching for IELTS to Indian students.