Study in UK
United Kingdom or UK is an island located off the coast of European mainland, and perhaps there is no other island like UK in the world. Its rich and amazing history has had a profound effect not only on the society of this great country, but on the whole world as well. UK consists of the island of Great Britain, which includes England, Scotland, and Wales, the north-eastern part of the island of Ireland, and many smaller islands. UK was the first country in the world to be industrialised, and it currently has the world's sixth-largest economy by nominal gross domestic product (GDP) and the ninth-largest by purchasing power parity (PPP). It is not only a powerful country, but a peaceful and beautiful one as well, making it one of the most sought after places in the world.
India- UK relations have been very warm ever since Indian independence, with a large number of immigrants to UK coming from India. UK also has an excellent education system. British education system is considered to be one of the most prestigious ones in the world, and the UK has high standards of education. A UK education, although somewhat expensive as compared to other countries, is enough to secure a hardworking student a job anywhere in the world. The education system in UK is also very proficient, and this can be gauged by the fact that 38 per cent of its population has a university or college degree- the highest percentage in Europe and among the highest percentages in the world. Studying in UK is therefore an opportunity that one should not miss at all as studying in the UK education system is going to get you set for life!
Why study in UK?
Studying in UK provides one with a lot of opportunities. This is not the only benefit of studying in UK though. One more benefit is the immense choice one gets to choose from because the education system in UK provides one with the choice of studying in England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland. So there is plenty of top universities in UK to choose from. So if you are asking Why UK? It is simply because it is among the best! And if you look up the alumni of the top universities in UK you will be impressed by the names.
Popular Cities to study in UK
Universities in UK are known for their rigorous academic standards, and this has helped these universities to become among the top in the world. In fact, UK is behind only United States in terms of representation on lists of top 100 universities. So be assured that the top universities in UK are also among the best universities in the world. These universities are located in some of the finest cities in the UK. The top universities in UK offer excellent education and cater to a large number of students from all over the world.
- London- It is the largest and the capital city of the UK and England. It is also one of the most diverse cities of UK, with a huge immigrant population making it a preferred choice for international students. It is a beautiful and historic city and has some of the best universities in the world which include University College London, Imperial College London, King’s College London, Queen Mary, University of London, Royal Holloway, University of London, Goldsmiths University of London, Loughborough University London, Regent's University London, University of Liverpool and South Thames College.
- Edinburgh- It is the capital of Scotland and is a historically important and vibrant city and has the strongest economy of any city in the United Kingdom outside London. It is home to excellent universities like the University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh Napier University, Heriot Watt University, Queen Margaret University and the University of Stirling. These universities cater to a huge number of international students.
- Manchester- It is a popular tourist destination and was the first industrialised city in the world. It is also a hub of scientific and engineering industries. Top universities in Manchester include University of Manchester, University of Salford, Manchester Metropolitan University, Alliance Manchester Business School and University of Bolton, which provide world-class technical and professional education.
- Glasgow- It is the most populous city in Scotland also has the largest seaport in the UK. It also has the largest economy in Scotland, so job are plenty. The top universities in Glasgow include University of Glasgow, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow School of Art and Glasgow Caledonian University.
- Birmingham-It is the second largest city in the UK and is a major international commercial centre and an important transport, retail, events and conference hub. Among the best universities in Birmingham are the University of Birmingham, Birmingham City University, Aston University, Newman University, Aston Business School and the University College Birmingham.
- Nottingham- It is a city which has a rich history, most famously being associated with the legend of Robin Hood. The city also houses the headquarters of many big companies like Alliance Boots and Changan Automobiles. The universities in Nottingham include the University of Nottingham, Nottingham Trent University and the National Design Academy.
- Aberdeen- It is a peaceful and calm city in the UK that houses electronics design and development industry, as well as institutes of research in agriculture and fishing and the oil industry. Top universities in Aberdeen include Robert Gordon University and University of Aberdeen.
UK student visa requirements for Indian students
UK student visa process is very simple. The UK student visa you have to secure depends upon your age and the level of study you are planning to pursue in the UK, but the most commonly required one is the Tier 4 visa. But you will first have to secure admission in a UK university.
For Indian students, the cost of student visa for UK comes to about 40,000 rupees.
Before applying for studies in UK, you should apply for and obtain a good scale in IELTS which is English language exams. You should also check the respective institutional website for other eligibility related information.
Scholarship in UK for Indian Students
Although the universities in UK are a bit expensive and the cost of living in UK is also high, but there a number of scholarships to study in UK that can take care of these expenses. Some of these are the Chevening Scholarship, Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship, GREAT Scholarships and the Charles Wallace India Trust Scholarships. There are also many independent funding bodies that provide these scholarships. For more information on scholarships and funding opportunities in UK, visit the individual university websites.
Jobs after Studying in UK
UK has a market based economy ranking and it is currently the fifth-largest economy in the world and the second-largest in Europe after Germany. Besides London, which is one of the major financial cities of the world, UK also has a well-developed heavy industries sector which requires professionals. Jobs in UK can also be taken up part-time, even during the period of your study. Jobs in UK for Indians are therefore aplenty. Post study work visa in UK can also be obtained easily provided you have studied well and worked hard enough. There are 3 types of work visa in UK, Start-up visa, Tier 2 (General) and Tier 5 (Temporary Worker).
How much does it cost to study in UK?
The UK recently left the EU, and the pound sterling (GBP)is the currency of UK. The cost of study in UK varies- for an undergraduate program it is GBP 10,000 to GBP 20,000 per year, for postgraduate master's degree it is GBP 10,000 to GBP 20,000 per year and for doctoral degree it is about GBP 15,000 to GBP 24,000 per year. Visit the institution website for further information. The cost of study in UK for Indian students varies though depending upon the funding opportunities secured.