Study in Australia
Australia is a land of wonders- from the fantastically diverse wildlife to the astonishingly beautiful places, Australia is a country full of potential. Australia also has a booming economy- it is the 14th largest economy in the world. It is also a welcoming place, with immigrants accounting for 30% of the population which makes Australia the country with the highest proportion of immigrants among those with a population of over 10 million. India- Australia relations are also very good, and like India, Australia is also a democracy. In fact, it is the eighth-highest ranked democracy globally.
Besides its beauty and power, Australia also boasts of a great education system. Getting an Australia education is a life-changer, and those who have undergone studies in the Australian education system have great success stories to tell. Australia is the third largest provider of international education, and there is a sizeable Indian population living and studying in Australia. To get all these great benefits, you have to study Australia! Besides a lovely place, Australia is also a great place to consider for studying, especially for Indian students.
Why study in Australia?
Australian people have a tradition of being peace-loving and have welcomed people from all over the world. Australia has the third-highest Human Development Index. It is a ‘megadiverse’ country and a wealthy one with a market based economy. Its income is mostly derived from various sources like mining-related exports, telecommunications, banking, manufacturing, and international education. All these sectors require professionals, and so anyone wishing to get an Australia study and and willing to work hard enough, can look forward to many benefits of studying in Australia. Many Indians have gotten permanent residentships in Australia after completing their studies. Among the many benefits of studying in Australia including getting a chance to reside in a beautiful country full of opportunities and with a great prospect for career and life, you can also get to be a part of a successful Indian diaspora as 2.8% of the population of Australia is of Indian origin.
Popular Cities to study in Australia
Australian universities are considered world-class, with all the major cities faring well in global comparative livability surveys. 33 Australian universities were listed in the QS World University Rankings for 2016 and 31 institutions were listed in The Times Higher Education World University Rankings in the same year. The top universities in Australia offer excellent education and are ranked consistently among the best in the world.
- Sydney- It is the most populous city in Australia and is situated on Australia’s east coast. It is a beautiful city and has some of the best universities in the world which include University of Sydney (which is the country’s first university), University of New South Wales, University of Technology, Macquarie University and University of Western Sydney.
- Melbourne- It is a leading financial centre in the Asia-Pacific region and ranks 15th in the Global Financial Centres Index. It is home to excellent universities like University of Melbourne, RMIT University, Deakin University, Monash University, Swinburne University of Technology, La Trobe University and Victoria University. These universities cater to a huge number of international students.
- Brisbane- It is a popular tourist destination and is one of the oldest cities of Australia. It is also a diverse city with 32.2% of its metropolitan population being foreign born. Top universities in Brisbane include University of Queensland, Griffith University and Queensland University of Technology, which provide world-class technical and professional education.
- Perth- Perth is home to one of the finest universities in the world- the University of Western Australia. Other top-class universities in Perth include Murdoch University and Curtin University.
- Adelaide- It is a city with a number of manufacturing and defence related industries. The universities in Adelaide include the University of Adelaide, Flinders University and University of South Australia.
Student Visa Australia Requirements
A student visa is required to be able to study in Austrlia. A student can study up to 5 years in an Australian university on a Australian student visa. In order to apply for a student visa, a candidate has to have secured and enrolled admission in a higher education course in Australia. Students under the age of 18 have to provide information about their living and welfare arrangements. For more information on visa requirements and procedures, Click here.
The student visa Australia cost varies based on the level of study. Further information can be found on the website.
Before applying for studies in Australia, one should apply for and obtain a good scale in IELTS or TOEFL which are English language exams.
Scholarship in Australia for Indian Students
Being an international student, a full tuition fee is to be paid for the studies. But this can be taken care of by the many scholarships to study in Australia. A scholarship will not only take care of tuition, but also help to fund the living costs and provide a stipend. These might be offered by Australian universities, or by an independent funding body. Some of these scholarships are Australian Government Research and Training Program (AGRTP), Australia Awards and the John Allwright Fellowship (JAF).
Jobs after Studying in Australia
You can get up to 4 years of post-study work rights after finishing your studies in Australia. Besides, jobs in Australia are plenty because of the industry based economy. So you can work in Australia after your studies and then apply for an Australia work visa. You can also get permanent residentship in Australia, and with great placement opportunities provided by Australian universities, Indian students have a chance to find great jobs in Australia and elsewhere.
How much does it cost to study in Australia?
The Australian dollar (AUD) is the currency of Australia. The costs of living in Australia include house rent, travelling costs, bills and other expenditures. The cost of study in Australia varies- for an undergraduate bachelor degree, it is between AUD15,000 and AUD33,000. For a master’s degree it is AUD20,000 to AUD37,000, while for a doctoral degree, the fees are between AUD14,000 and AUD37,000. Visit the institution website for further information. Average annual cost of living in Australia comes to about AUD21,041.