Canada has grown into one of the most preferred destinations for overseas education amongst Indians. If you want to study in Canada and settle abroad with job prospects, we have some information every aspirant should know.
Why is Canada a Suitable Destination for Overseas Education for Indians?
Before you decide to study in Canada, understand what benefits you can get as an Indian in that country.
- Education and lifestyle are affordable in Canada.
- The country offers a high standard of living to people settling there.
- Canada is home to the top global universities, holding high ranks in the Times Higher Education Universities list.
- French and English had been official Canadian languages until recently the country added Punjabi as its third language. Naturally, language is not a barrier here for Indian students.
- The Prospect and rate of employment are quite high in the country.
- The universities of Canada follow one of the best education systems in the world that encourages multicultural mixing, research-based education, and innovation.
What Do You Need to Study in Canada?
While you plan to continue your higher education in Canada, it is worth understanding the country’s requirements from students.
The educational requirement varies with the courses and university you choose for your higher education. However, there are certain standard prerequisites of all the universities:
|Components||Annual Expenses per year|
|Tuition fees (varies with university and courses chosen)||7,000 – 35,000|
|On Campus accommodation||8,000 – 10,000|
|Off campus accommodation (varies with cities, outskirts, personal or shared accommodation)||4,800 – 24,000|
|Cost of Living (food, communication, transportation, daily supplies, books, etc.)||6,000 – 10,000|
|Health and Insurance||300 – 800|
Getting a Scholarship in Canada
If you are a deserving student, you can always secure a scholarship from universities in Canada for your overseas education. However, when you apply for a scholarship, here are a few points you need to remember-
• A student needs to achieve a scholarly mark in their previous degree to get approval for a scholarship grant from the chosen university. However, the required score varies with universities, courses, and the level where you apply.
• The grant amount varies with universities.
• Students need to apply for the scholarship money at least 8-12 months before initiation of the course they apply for.
If you face financial issues to continue with your education in Canada, you can always opt for an education loan from financial institutes.
Top 5 Universities in Canada for Overseas Education
Before you apply to study in Canada, here is the list of the top 5 universities to apply to in Canada for your reference.
- University of Toronto
- University of British Columbia
- University of Montreal
- McGill University Montreal
- McMaster University
Documents Required for Student Visa in Canada
Once your application for overseas education gets approved by one of the universities in Canada, you need to initiate your student visa application. Here are the basic documents every candidate needs to submit with the consulate to process their visa-
- Valid Passport (old and new with a minimum of 2-years validity)
- Institute’s acceptance letter or proof
- Bank state or other fund proofs with a minimum balance of CAD 10,000 for each year of your stay in Canada.
- Passport size photographs (35cmx45cm)
- IME or Immigration Medical Examination 1 week before the initiation of visa application.
- Proof of English Language Proficiency Exam (IELTS / TOEFL)
- Statement of Purpose (document proof for your intend of application)
- Visa application fees of CAD 160 through credit cards only.
These are the basic information every aspirant should know before applying to Canada for overseas education.